By Edda Weigand
Comprises many of the papers given at a world workshop on the college of Munster in might 1997. The textual content addresses questions of lexical semantics from the pragmatic point of view of a corpus-oriented technique in addition to from the model-oriented standpoint of signal theoretic linguistics. in the corpus-oriented method, the concept that unmarried phrases can now not be thought of to be the lexical unit is mentioned. different versions of contrastive lexical semantics also are lined: the two-level version; the structural version; a version of contrastive idiom research; and a computerlinguistic version.
Read Online or Download Contrastive Lexical Semantics PDF
Similar semantics books
Metaphorical and metonymical compounds – novel and lexicalised ones alike – are remarkably considerable in language. but how will we make certain while utilizing an expression corresponding to land fishing that allows you to talk about steel detecting, the referent might be instantly understood no matter if the hearer had now not been formerly conversant in the compound?
The research of the linguistic reflexes of element has been an lively box of study in a number of sub-disciplines of linguistics, akin to syntax, semantics (including discourse conception) and acquisition stories. even if, communique and dissemination of effects throughout those a variety of subfields has frequently been oblique.
Elizabeth Closs Traugott and Graeme Trousdale advance an method of language switch in keeping with building grammar. building grammar is a concept of indicators construed on the point of the word, clause, and complicated sentence. in the past it's been ordinarily synchronic. The authors use it to reconceptualize grammaticalization (the method in which verbs like 'to have' lose semantic content material and achieve grammatical capabilities, or observe order strikes from discourse-prominent to syntax-prominent), and lexicalization (in which idioms develop into fastened and intricate phrases simplified).
Formal semantics - the medical examine of that means in typical language - is without doubt one of the such a lot basic and normal parts of linguistics. This guide bargains a accomplished, but compact advisor to the sphere, bringing jointly examine from a variety of world-leading specialists. Chapters contain assurance of the old context and starting place of up to date formal semantics, a survey of the range of formal/logical techniques to linguistic that means and an summary of the foremost parts of study inside of present semantic conception, commonly conceived.
- Syntax and Semantics of Prepositions
- Computing Meaning: Volume 1
- Evaluation and Stance in War News: A Linguistic Analysis of American, British and Italian Television News Reporting of the 2003 Iraqi War
- Semantics (Modern Linguistics)
- Semitic and Indo-European: Volume II: Comparative Morphology, Syntax and Phonetics
- Adaptive Semantics Visualization
Additional info for Contrastive Lexical Semantics
By Frank Beckmann & Gerhard Heyer, 191-204. Berlin, New York: de Gruyter. Lang, Ewald 1989. "Semantik der Dimensionsauszeichnung räumlicher Objekte". Dimen sional Adjectives. Grammatical structure and conceptual interpretation ed. by Manfred Bierwisch & Ewald Lang, 263-417. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: Springer. Lewis, David K. 1969. Convention: A philosophical study. : Harvard University Press. Mel'čuk, Igor A. & Leo Wanner 1994. "Lexical Co-occurrence and Lexical Inheritance. Emotion lexemes in German: a lexicographic case study".
In the transitive instances the non-budging item is object, the agent of movement is in the subject, the semantic preference is inability and there is strong colligation with the modals of ability. A minor optional element of the cotext of budge is the expression of the position from which there is to be no budging. There are eight instances, all beginning with a preposition; from four times, on twice, and above and off once each. Most are of the 'refusal' type. At this point we may argue that most of the patterning in the cotext has been accounted for, with the possible exception of the word even, which oc curs four times to the right of budge, and links semantically with yet.
6. The principle of meaning equivalence As we know, formal and semantic structure are not directly correlated; each of them has its own principles that do not fit 1:1. Starting from ways-ofuse, we have to look for a principle of correlation between universal struc ture and ways-of-use that allows us to give semantics and the expression side their own respective structures. As is the case with the action function and the referential function, in the predicative field, too, it is the principle of meaning equivalence of expressions that establishes correspondences between configurations of meaning positions and units of expression considered as ways-of-use.
Contrastive Lexical Semantics by Edda Weigand